birding-aus

birding-aus Re:Mangrove Honeyeaters and Little Bronze-cuckoo in North Co

Subject: birding-aus Re:Mangrove Honeyeaters and Little Bronze-cuckoo in North Coast NSW
From: "David Geering"<>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 08:15:53 +1000
Edwin

Mangrove Honeyeaters will not be found at Coffs.  The best place is at
Yamba on the mouth of the Clarence River 1.5 hours drive north.  They are
very easy to find in the mangroves there.  More specific details are
available if you are interested.  The other location is at Stuarts Point to
the south of Coffs (although I have never looked for them there).

Little Bronze-cuckoo is possible around Coffs although I wouldn't hold your
breath.  The habitat just isn't optimal for them.  They are much more
reliable (again you need some luck) in the Clarence Valley where it is
drier.  I used to encounter them fairly regularly in the Coutts Crossing
area (SW of Grafton), and in the remnant timber around the wetlands in the
Lawrence-Tucabia-Pillar Valley area north to east of Grafton.  Mind you,
this is not the time of year when they would be expected anyway.

Good luck

David Geering

quotes)