birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Cane Toad predators

To: Chris Dahlberg <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Cane Toad predators
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 10:04:06 +1000 (EST)
On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Chris Dahlberg wrote:
>                  With Red Mill House on line again I am getting to the point
> where I can catch up with some other things. A young French lady, who is
> connected with a TV crew, is interested in avian cane toad predators. I
> remember a list of 10 odd birds that are known to predate cane toads posted
> about a year or so back. I know that Black Butcherbirds and the Australian
> White Ibis eat them and I have seen Bush Stone-curlews with cane toads but I
> would like to pass on to her the others if anyone could help?

Michael Tyler 's "Australia Frogs: a Natural History" list Koel, Tawny
Frogmouth, "kite hawk", whistling kite, "pheasant", ibis, crane, swamp
hen and herons.

In some places toads may be a significant part aof  Black Kites diet.
[1] is a short paper reporting predation of Cane Toads by Black Kites.
In an area near Townsville the authors found toad remains near several
Black Kite nests.  One nest had over 20 Toad remains around it.  The toads
had internal organs removed via their ventral surface.  The authors also
observed kites perhaps actively searching for toads on the edge of dams.

Andrew Taylor

[1] Predation on the Cane Toad (Bufo marinus) by the Black Kite (Milvus
migrans),  D. Mitchell, A. Jones and J. Hero, Memoirs of the Queensland
Museum 38(2):512, 1995

quotes)