birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Forwarded Message

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Forwarded Message
From: Paul Taylor <>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 18:11:07 +1000
RUSSELL DEAN WOODFORD wrote:

> John Gamblin's message just bounced.  Here it is:
>
> Could someone assist me please !
>
> I have spent the major part of today going through most of my old
> photo collection, for a lady overseas. When I stumbled on some shots
> taken when the Falklands Islands War was going on. Have noticed in the
> background of the snaps their are some penguins which to the best of
> my memory are about three feet tall with an orange/yellow tuft on top
> of their heads.
>
> Anyone feel like having a go at Identifying them ?
>
> Once you same the name I will know ?

>From www.falklands-nature.demon.co.uk/penguins/penguins.html, the
five breeding species are King, Gentoo, Rockhopper, Magellanic and
Macaroni Penguins.  The Rockhopper certainly has the orange/yellow
tufts.  I'm not sure about the Macaroni, but it is 300 times rarer
than the Rockhopper on the Falklands (100 pairs vs. 300,000 pairs.)
At 95cm, the King penguin would better fit your size estimate,
though (it has orange ear patches rather than tufts); the Rockhopper
is 50cm.

(A website which had photos of the Rockhoppers on the Falklands
described them as "The Samurai of the Penguin world."  I guess that
unless there trees about for them to jump backwards into, you have
to rely on other means of identification.  :)