birding-aus

birding-aus Blue Mountains Parrot

Subject: birding-aus Blue Mountains Parrot
From: "Carol Probets" <>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 21:30:55 PDT

 ...Rainbow Lorikeets...
I believe the species' only other common name is 'Blue Mountains
Parrot/Parakeet'.

Hi Anthea & all,

The ?Blue Mountains Parrot? is a rather puzzling early name for the Rainbow
Lorikeet, as this species is quite uncommon in the Blue Mountains,
especially the upper mountains where I live, although they have increased in
recent years in the lower mountains around Glenbrook to Springwood, probably
as a result of flowering garden plants. As far as I know they were never
common in the area previously.

According to Peter and Judy Smith in their book ?Fauna of the Blue
Mountains? (1990), there seems to have been some confusion with the name in
the early 1800s, with most of the early observations of the ?Blue Mountains
Parrot? probably referring to the Crimson Rosella, which is extremely common
in this area. They also say that George Caley noted in 1804 that Blue
Mountains Parrots, despite their name, were rarely encountered in the
mountains.

I wonder how the name arose ? whether it was just a case of mistaken
identity?

Cheers,
Carol

Carol Probets