birding-aus

birding-aus Swift Parrots and Regent Honeyeaters

Subject: birding-aus Swift Parrots and Regent Honeyeaters
From: "David Geering"<>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 13:44:20 +1000
I managed to escape Melbourne over the weekend and headed to north-east
Victoria for the Regent Honeyeater/Swift Parrot survey.

I spent most of my time in Killawarra State Forest, north of Wangaratta,
where both species had been seen a month ago (see my previous posting for
more detail).  Once again, another glorious weekend.

The target species first.  Swift Parrots were not difficult to find.  Of 16
sites that I surveyed (atlas sheets completed) I had Swift Parrots on 11 of
them.  The western end of the forest (on Saturday afternoon) had the
greatest numbers with up to 100 birds on one two hectare site.  I spent
Sunday morning in the centre and northern portion of the forest and saw a
number of groups but none containing more than 10 birds.  It could be that
they are more dispersed in the morning while there is nectar available.
The birds seen in the afternoon were feeding on leaves of Grey Box although
I was not able to see any lerp.

Late on the Saturday afternoon I found four Regent Honeyeaters near a dam
where I had one in April.  Two of these birds were fairly conspicuous
hawking for insects from a dead tree.

Other nice birds at Killawarra (for me at least) included Gilberts
Whistler, Hooded Robin, Speckled Warbler, Jacky Winter (I'm starting to
miss seeing these birds all the time), Grey-crowned Babbler and Turquoise
Parrot.

Whetted your appetite?  The second "Great Killawarra Regent Hunt" will be
held on the long weekend 12-14 June.   The aim is to try and unearth more
Regent Honeyeaters in this great Mugga Ironbark forest.  This is also a
Birds Australia VicGroup campout.  If you are interested in coming along
please let me know to ensure that you receive relevant directions and maps.

David Geering

quotes)