birding-aus

birding-aus Correcting RAMSAR message

Subject: birding-aus Correcting RAMSAR message
From: RUSSELL DEAN WOODFORD <>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 17:35:52 +1000 (EST)
Hi all

I'm terribly sorry, but I got some of my information a bit muddled and
suggested - incorrectly - that some current RAMSAR sites are being revised
and that other places - like Limeburners Lagoon - are to be added.

THANKS to everyone who has contacted me with info and corrections - it
seems like I'm the last one to know everything!!

Here is what is REALLY happening:

Parks Victoria are currently developing management plans for each of the
10 Ramsar sites in the State, along with drawing up a 'strategic
directions statement' for all these RAMSAR sites. There are two sites near
Geelong: Port Philip Bay (Western Shoreline) extends to include
Limeburners Lagoon - I incorrectly stated that it was being considered for
addition, whereas it has been part of the site all along!  The other site
near Geelong is the Bellarine Peninsula Ramsar Site.

I need to add that NO CHANGES to the current site boundaries are planned
under the current management plan process, although the final
recommendations of the process may of course comment on this.

Also note that Limeburners BAY is on the OTHER side of Geelong from
Limeburners Lagoon. The latter is the site on my back doorstep (more or
less) and is between Geelong Grammar School and Avalon.

The Geelong Council is currently trying to find out which community groups
hold data of various forms which may be useful in preparation of this
management plan.  They can provide a proforma and extra information for
anyone who is interested.

I can forward contact details for the relevant personnel at both Parks
Victoria and Geelong Council.

I hope that sorts out a few misunderstandings!

Cheers

Russell

Russell Woodford
          PH: 03 52 739237