birding-aus

birding-aus Re: Apostlebirds

Subject: birding-aus Re: Apostlebirds
From: Atlas Project <>
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 16:51:28 +1000
Hello Martin and all,

Looking at a map of the current distibution of the Apostlebird from the new
Atlas of Australian Birds database there appears to be little change its
distibution compared to the previous Atlas distribution. Though it is still
early days as far as data collection goes.

For South Australia we have records from Anne Green's area, ie Morgan by
the Murray River, and roughly in a line through the Flinders Ranges via
Peterborough to north of Port Augusta.
In Victoria the records are confined to the far north west and along the
Murray River.
The distribution appears unchanged though there are too few records to see
a clear picture of its distibution, and we have no measures of abundance at
this stage.

Rory Poulter
Database Manager
Atlas of Australian Birds
Birds Australia

>Hello Anne,
>     Am interested in whether you can provide me with any of the following
>so I can "debunk" the assertion in some publications that Apostlebirds are
>extinct in SA.  Particularly the populations you say are "thriving".
>
>(a) References of articles, etc that show the status of the species or give
>reports of it in SA,
>(b) A SA bird database (if there is such is thing) that indicates the
>distribution or status of Apostlebirds in SA,
>(c) Your personal observations (with dates, locality and no.s if possible)
>of the species,
>(d) Any records you are aware of that report Apostlebirds in SA.
>
>Thanks for your note and I look forward to hearing about your experience of
>this species in SA.
>
>Martin O'Brien
>Threatened Species Program
>NRE Melbourne