birding-aus

birding-aus Re: Capertee supplement

Subject: birding-aus Re: Capertee supplement
From: "David Geering"<>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 09:13:03 +1100
Rod

Murray has notified me of the Regent Honeyeater.  Thanks.

I wouldn't say this is the first of the winter, even though this is the
first Capertee record since February.  Traditionally they don't really
return until July.  Having said that there are many things to take into
account - what's flowering in the valley and elsewhere.  In 1997, for
example, Regents were present from May onward in very large numbers because
White Box was flowering prolifically in the valley and relatively poorly
elsewhere.  There are records of Regent Honeyeaters in the valley for all
months of the year.  As a general rule, however, they are single birds or
very small groups at this time of year.  Still worth looking for though as
we are a long way of piecing together their movement patterns.

Pied Butcherbirds are regular in the valley although there are really only
a few spots where you can find them with certainty.  I have had
Olive-backed Oriole all through winter in the valley, I think they are just
a bit quieter at this time of year.

Is someone going out to the Capertee Valley for the Regent Honeyeater/Swift
Parrot survey on 22-23 May?  If so could you please let me know that I can
direct people enquiring about potential search sites elsewhere.  Also if
several groups are visiting the valley I would like to make recommendations
about specific search localities so that we don't end up with everyone at
the same locations and potentially missing birds elsewhere.

Thanks

David Geering
Regent Honeyeater Recovery Coordinator

quotes)