birding-aus

Re: birding-aus RFI - Darwin to Broome

To: <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus RFI - Darwin to Broome
From: "Phil Joy" <>
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 07:04:42 +0800
Keith,
          Allan Burbidge and Frank O'Connor both have very informative web
pages on the birds of W.A.
The URL for Allan's web page is
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~austecol/birds.html and Frank's page is at
http://www.iinet.net.au/~foconnor/
As you are only travelling from Darwin to Broome, Frank O'Connors web page
would perhaps be more specific to your requirements as he has details of
what birds are where and how to get there to see them.

Below is a copy of a paragraph from Frank's page as an example of the
detailed content.

NAASRA Creek - This is signposted 16.5km from the Halls Creek turn off.
There are usually some pools about 50 to 100 metres from the bridge on the
left side. Finches and honeyeaters come down to drink. I have also heard
Black-tailed Treecreeper, Grey Butcherbird, Olive-backed Oriole and
Horsfield?s Bronze-Cuckoo.

"The Grotto - This is a spectacular waterhole about 30km from Wyndham. You
are almost certain to see White-quilled Rock-Pigeon, Northern Fantail,
honeyeaters, finches, etc. I have seen Gouldian Finch and Pictorella
Mannikin coming down from the slopes on the left, Sandstone Shrike-thrush,
and Common Koel (in the wet season). You also have chances of Collared
Sparrowhawk, Grey Shrike-thrush, Leaden Flycatcher, Varied Sittella, etc. In
August 1995 I saw up to 14 Nankeen Night Herons which I thought was unusual.
You can look from the top, walk down the stone steps, or search the hill
side. Spinifex Pigeon should be a good chance if you walk to the top of the
falls, and Chestnut-backed Button-quail might be a chance although I have
only flushed Brown Quail. This is best visited very early in the morning
while the birds are active and before the tourists arrive. Keep an eye on
the sky along the highway in this area as it is possibly the best area to
find Black-breasted Buzzard."

Hope this helps.  Cheers for now,
                                                             Phil Joy

P.S.  Have you had any luck with your search for those elusive National
Photographic Index of Australian Wildlife publications?

P O Box 1510
Broome
W A            6725
Visit Broome Bird Observatory on line at
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~austecol/observatories/broome.htm