birding-aus

birding-aus Do you have Pyrrhura perlata on your life list?

Subject: birding-aus Do you have Pyrrhura perlata on your life list?
From: John Penhallurick <>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 11:02:14 +1000
If you have done a trip to Northeast or South-east Brazil, you may have
Pyrrhura perlata on your life list as a result.  Well, think again.

Arndt,1983,Spixiana,Suppl.,suppl.no.9,pp.425-428 showed that the types of
P.perlata were actually immatures of the taxon known as Pyrrhura
rhodogaster.  Since
Aratinga perlatus Spix,1824,Avium Species Novae Itinere
Brasiliam,1,p.35,pl.20 (Banks of the Amazon)
predates
Conurus rhodogaster Sclater (ex Natt[erer] MS),1864,Proceedings of the
Zoological Society of London,p.298,pl.24 (near Borba,Rio Madeira,Brazil)
the taxon formerly known as P.rhodogaster (Sclater) becomes P.perlatus (Spix).

The taxon formerly known as P.perlatus acquires the next available name:
Pyrrhura lepida, which (and here I am relying on my very fallible memory) I
think is  Wagler 1832,Monographia Psittacorum.

Peters,1937,3, argued that lepida was unavailable, as preoccupied by
P.lepidus Kuhl,1820 (= Psittacus pictus P.L.S.Muller).  However, since
Kuhl's name was only mentioned in the synonymy of P.pictus, I believe it is
unavailable under ICZN Art.11(e), and thus P.lepida stands.

So if you thought you saw P.perlata in the coastal provinces of Brazil, you
need to change your list.  You actually saw P.lepida.  P.perlata (was
P.rhodogaster) is a bird of north-eastern Amazonia.

This is picked up by Collar, in Handbook of the Birds of the World,4, and
also by Sibley in Birds of the World v.2.0.  But I thought it worth
mentioning, as others (like myself until last night) may have overlooked
this change.

John Penhallurick

quotes)