birding-aus

birding-aus hepactic cuckoo sighting

Subject: birding-aus hepactic cuckoo sighting
From: Laurence Living <>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 12:57:22 +1000
Hi Lorne

A follow up to your report of a hepactic oriental cuckoo at Cattai Np
early last month.

On Thursday last [April 15] Nick Day and I were birding in Mitchell
Park, [not far from Cattai, Windsor area, NSW] when we disturbed a Night
heron roosting on the creek side not far from the road and the first
picnic area.

While we were watching the heron a cuckoo flew in and perched in front
of us. It then  flew to another open spot in front of us and we were
able to view it for a good ten minutes.

The bird was 'clearly' barred  underneath from tail to top of throat.
The upperparts,head, neck, back, wings and tail  also appeared to be
barred or scalloped in a rich, rufous colour.

At the time we considered the liklihood of an immature pallid or brush
cuckoo and later, after consulting the three field guides, changed to a
position of a possible hepactic oriental cuckoo, depending on a check in
Hanzab.

I had saved the birding-aus discussions/re your report about the subject
in early March but not read them.

I also manged to see the male oriental cuckoo in Kakadu on two occasions
in January this year.

This bird seemed too uniformly and clearly barred to be an immature
pallid and too rufous and long [head to tail] for a brush.

Nick is consulting Hanzab before verification.

Has anyone else seen this bird at Mitchell Park recently?

Is it possible this is the bird you saw at Cattai?

Interested in any comments.

Laurie Living

quotes)