birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Free Lecture on Birds

To: <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Free Lecture on Birds
From: "Irene Denton" <>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 19:47:10 +1000
Jim

Can't make it to Brisbane but I'd like to make some observations now.

Having contributed to a number of conservation projects, including Gould's
Petrel on Cabbage Tree Island (Port Stephens, NSW), Regent Honeyeaters in
the Capertee Valley, I am firmly convinced that committed, properly recorded
and actively/scientifically used studies of bird behaviour are a key
component of successful bird conservation.

Using Gould's Petrel as an example, the detailed work done on behaviour such
as changeover periods (males and females swapping on nests, and time away
from nest), how the adults fly through the rainforest (get rid of that
Pisonia), return of young ones to the place they were born, nesting habits
(such as lining nest with dry leaves, etc. have all contributed to a
successful conservation program (so far) for Gould's Petrel.

The critical part is the scientific recording and use of the studies by
actually undertaking positive conservation work - I am convinced that
disciplined methodology works.

It's a two part thing:  use the statistics to take positive conservation
action.

For surveys (and I've volunteered on a few over the years including
continuously over a four year term), which are largely presence/absence
counts, I'm not yet fully convinced of their power - on their own.  Even
surveys that go further to record numbers, breeding status, habitat usage,
weather etc. merely build up lots of statistics and data:

    the data need to be translated to solid action.

I know some people will argue that the stats are required first before you
know what action to take, but I suggest that "all stats, no action" is not
"conservation".

Irene Denton
Sydney   NSW
Australia