birding-aus

birding-aus Re: Gurney's Pitta. A catastrophe!

Subject: birding-aus Re: Gurney's Pitta. A catastrophe!
From: John Penhallurick <>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 12:59:41 +1000
Below are the text of an email of mine to Tony Palliser re Gurney's Pitta
and his reply.This is an environmental and ornithological catastrophe!
Can't we do something about this?
John Penhallurick

Tony,
Seeing your name reminded me that Niels Dreyer had said that you know about
a disaster affecting Gurney's Pitta.  That a Danish Conservation group had
pulled out, and that in order to get access to the land in the reserve, the
farmers were paying the guards to kill the Pittas, and that numbers were
down to five pairs.  Can you confirm this?

Thanks,

John Penhallurick

quotes)