birding-aus

Re: birding-aus 2 snakes in need of ID

To: <>, "John Leonard" <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus 2 snakes in need of ID
From: "Graham Fry" <>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 22:16:19 +1000
Dear John
I don't have any ideas on the first snake, but no. 2 was almost certainly a
Black-headed Python, Aspidites melanocephalus.  It has a widespread
distribution in northern Australia, extending as far south as Rolleston in
inland Queensland.  These snakes are "found in a wide range of habitats
from humid coastal forests and seasonally dry tropical woodlands to the
arid interior.  Nocturnal [and crepuscular]  Feed on small mammals, ground
birds and reptiles, including venomous snakes." (Cogger, 1994)

Liz Cameron, search & discover, Australian Museum

----------
> From: John Leonard <>
> Subject: birding-aus 2 snakes in need of ID
> Date: Sunday, 11 April 1999 20:23
>
> I'v eretunred from a long inland trip (report to follow), but have two
> snakes in need of identification:
>
> 1. seen on a gibber ridge near Coober Pedy, .8 of metre long, brownish
with
> final 10 centimeters of tail jet black
>
> 2. seen on road near Winton in Mulga country, very large (2m long),
boldly
> striped black and cream, or greenish cream (light was poor), head and
first
> 10 cm of neck jet black.
>
> Thanks
>
> John Leonard
>

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> John Leonard (Dr),
> PO Box 243,
> Woden, ACT 2606,
> Australia
>
> seen recently on golf-buggy:
> 'Unregistered Vehicle Permit' :-)
>

> http://www.spirit.net.au/~jleonard
>
> To unsubscribe from this list, please send a message to
>
> Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the
> quotes)

quotes)