birding-aus

birding-aus Re:Sea-going Whistling Kites.

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Re:Sea-going Whistling Kites.
From: "Paul Walbridge" <>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 07:53:54 +1000
Euan Moore mentions Barbara Jones' report on Whistling Kites off Eden (NSW).On the Southport pelagics we often see Whistling Kites at the mouth of the Southport Seaway and occasionally beyond,where they have been seen to harrass gulls,shearwaters,etc,on occassions.However on the 27th May 1995 4 of these birds followed the vessel out to about 16 klms out to sea before breaking off and heading back to land.The Kites chased the Crested Terns and Silver Gulls but were also seen to pick offal from the sea-surface.Whistling Kites have followed the vessel on other occasions,sometimes joined by the odd Brahminy Kite,but never this far before.I might add this usually occurs during the winter months,why I'm not sure.Cheers and it looks like a lot of birding- aussers
had a great birding Easter.Paul Walbridge.
p.s.For those interested the May pelagic has been changed from the 15th to the 22nd and I hope to get the remaining dates for the year posted on birding-aus soon.

To unsubscribe from this list,please send a message to
Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes).