birding-aus

birding-aus bread and ducks

Subject: birding-aus bread and ducks
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 22:19:14 +1000
Happy Easter to all

Sorry that this topic follows so quickly the demise of the late-lamented
duck shooting thread.

I would appreciate any views, references, hard (or soft) facts about
the  arguments for and against feeding bread to ducks.  Please reply
direct to me and not via birding-aus.  I promise to summarise the
that clear in your response.

I think it has been discussed previously on birding-aus but I could not
find anything in the archive.

My particular concern is with ponds and lakes here in SE Melbourne
where, I guess, the bread thrown to ducks is adding to nutrients,
helping the blue-green algae, feeding mosquito fish/plague minnows
(gambusia spp) and not very good for the ducks (either individually or
as species), let alone the frogs and other wild creatures.

Recently I saw for this first time Wood Duck eating bread, which they
usually ignore in favour of grass.

Michael Norris
Hampton, Vic

quotes)