birding-aus

birding-aus Pacific Gulls at Wilsons Promontory (Victoria, Aust.)

Subject: birding-aus Pacific Gulls at Wilsons Promontory (Victoria, Aust.)
From: "Martin O'Brien"<>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 15:59:37 +1000
birding-aus

Dave James asks about Larus pacificus in Australia.

Having recently returned from a weekend trip to Wilsons Promontory National
Park here in Victoria I can say the east coast of "the Prom." was very good
for gulls, especially Pacifics.

We camped at Sealers Cove (3hr walk from Telegraph Saddle carpark) and
amongst other birds saw several age ranges of P. Gulls feeding on juvenile
Trevally trying to escape from Sealers Creek to the sea over the beach
sand.  I noticed a pair of gulls noisily giving a greeting display after
feeding on a few fish they had caught in the shallow water.

Up close, PGs are superbly coloured birds and the fine differences between
ages can be clearly seen.  Well worth the walk in with a heavy pack.  PGs
can be seen elsewhere on the Prom. but this is the closest I have been to
them for many years.

NB. Park entry fees apply and the Prom. is about 3 hours drive from
Melbourne along the South Gippsland Highway.

Martin O'Brien
Executive Scientific Officer
Scientific Advisory Committee
Threatened Species Program
Department of Natural Resources and Environment
4/250 Victoria Pde.,
East Melbourne,  3002
Victoria, AUSTRALIA

tel: +61 3 9412 4567