birding-aus

birding-aus All's Quiet ??

To: "" <>
Subject: birding-aus All's Quiet ??
From: Alwyn Hunt <>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 10:50:26 +1030
birding-aus

birding-aus subscribers
Hi all if your out there ?!!

What's happened ?  This is the last message downloaded to my system
following
hectic few days of debate re duck slaughter. It's timed/dated Wed, 24
Mar 1999
14:23:57 +1000.  All has ceased abruptly !  Have the pro hunting
activists jammed our server or what ?!!!
Alwyn Hunt

S Cooney wrote:

> birding-aus
>
> A few last thoughts from me.
>
> I hope I didn't give the impression that duck shooters
were the only
> humanoid threat to our environment and nor do I want to
imply that the
> problems Homo sapiens sapiens have caused are easy to fix.
They are not.
> And habitat degradation is obviously a very tough one.
>
> I thought David James comment on ethics was spot on.
Maybe we will look
> back on this discussion as an embarrassing aberration of
twentieth century
> western culture.  I hope so.
>
> The birds collected from the wetlands were placed on
display at Parliament
> House in Victoria and I am sure the Laurie Levy provides
reports.  Never
> afraid of publicity (good luck to him) I have no doubt he
will make these
> statistics known.
>
> As for fishing I do not approve of cruelty to fish, like
birds or any other
> animal.  This may be out of the field of this forum, but I
believe that
> many of the tagged and released fish later die either from
shock or
> predation as a result of their experience.  This might the
time to say that
> I do advocate animals rights and I am not even a
vegetarian, let alone a
> vegan.  I do however, attempt to buy cruelty free products
and actively
> boycott products and companies that do not show good
corporate citizenship
> in this area.  This costs me more money often, but that is
certainly a
> price I can pay for the well-being, even if only short
lived, of an animal.
>  This cause has not been fought and won either, concerned
people need to
> keep up the pressure.
>
> But Tony for Niven brings it back to a crucial point, what
are we going to
> do about.  We must lobby out Pollies, write letters,
become informed, tell
> our friends.  I have heard people say that the tide is
turning, lets keep
> up the pressure to ensure that this isn't just wishful
thinking on my
> behalf.
>
> Stuart Cooney
>

> P.S. My dad was the grey bearded man behind Laurie and
appeared on several
> news stories in the background and I don't think my aunty
appeared on TV
> this year.
>
> To unsubscribe from this list, please send a message to
>
> Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body
(without the quotes)

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)