birding-aus

birding-aus Duck shooting in NSW

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Duck shooting in NSW
From: "D&C Fraser" <>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 20:16:38 +1100
birding aus,
                    don't kid yourselves that ducks are safe in NSW, the other day I was pulled up by a worker at some road works, and while waiting, had a yarn with him. He told me he had just come back from a fishing trip, staying on a property on the Darling. After telling me about the yellowbelly, yabbies, and cod they had caught, he casually informed me that his hosts had shot seventy ducks over the fortnight. Duck season in Victoria is thankfully not what it used to be, far fewer shooters, and far less lead going into the wetlands due to the banning of magazine type shotguns, auto and pump. At least there are only two shots fired at a duck now instead of half a dozen as we used to hear  prior to the gun buyback. After opening weekend in my area, anyway, not much shooting goes on at the wetlands I visit. Unfortunately there is an element amongst the hunting fraternity to whom closed seasons, hunting bans, and protected species, mean nothing at all, and in fact they seem to take a perverse pleasure in breaking the law. A local hunter was heard yesterday, telling a shop assistant he had shot three hundred ducks for the weekend, so much for bag limits. There has been discussion re Latham's Snipe recently, some mongrels still shoot these beautiful birds, a particular favourite of mine. What's the answer?, I don't know, keep pushing for a ban on duck shooting Australia wide I suppose, and minimise the harm that way, and while we're at it don't forget the poor little Quail, which bears the brunt of things when there is a poor duck season
                Duncan Fraser.