birding-aus

birding-aus Swift Parrots 1999

Subject: birding-aus Swift Parrots 1999
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 11:28:25 -0816 (UTC)
birding-aus

Hi birders,

Simon Kennedy here.  Some of you might remember my postings in
1998 regarding Swift Parrot sightings.  I have returned to
resume my March-October post as Swift Parrot Project Officer.

Swift Parrots should be arriving on the mainland from their
breeding grounds soon, if they haven't already.  There are a
couple of tentative mainland records (and Richard Dilena's
sighting may be of birds that stayed over during summer, which
they occasionally do), but no definite "arrivals" yet.
List maintainer Russell Woodford saw the first mainland Swift
Parrot for last year near Geelong on March 30, so keep your
eyes peeled!

If you are new to the list, the Swift Parrot and the Regent
Honeyeater are two of Australia's rarest nectarivores.  Each
year volunteers (some of whom also subscribe to birding-aus)
search for these species at locations from western Victoria
through to southern Queensland.  If David Geering hasn't told
the list already, the counts are on 22-23 MAY AND 7-8 AUGUST.

Anyone interested in joining the surveys or passing on info on
flowering-budding trees in their area can email me or David
Geering (Regent Honeyeater co-ordinator) at

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)