birding-aus

birding-aus Birds on Lord Howe Island

Subject: birding-aus Birds on Lord Howe Island
From: Richard Jordan <>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 11:36:15 +1100 (EST)
birding-aus

Hi all,

Just a quick note about some birding observations on LHI during a
visit over the last couple of weeks:

Common Starling - this species seems to have disappeared from the
island. We couldn't find any, and their nesting tree fell down a
while back. Ian Hutton has more details, and I think he will be
posting them.

Masked Lapwing - on the increase now they have established themselves.
Probably around 30, but I did not do a proper count.

Black Noddy - the breeding colony amongst the Norfolk Pines at North
Bay is expanding apace - around 150 nests.

White Tern - more and more each time I go, but I did not do a count.

Buff-banded Rail - a big population increase in the settled areas -
they were all over the place (see below).

Woodhen - a worrying absence around the settled area. When I was there
four years ago they were easy to find around Somerset, the Museum etc -
not a single one this time - but a big increase in numbers of Buff-
banded Rail. Could there be a connection? Also, there were three
episodes we observed of dogs running free (until recently dogs were
banned, now certain breeds are allowed - supposedly under restraint).

Uncommon birds - there were 3 Double-banded Plovers and 4 Red-necked
Stints present during our visit.

Have others making recent visits to the island made similar observations?

Best regards, Richard

Richard Jordan
PO Box 4
Jamberoo, NSW 2533, Australia

phone +61 2 42 360542
fax   +61 2 42 360176
Email
'Web'  http://www.ozemail.com.au/~emutours/

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)