birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Native birds in captivity

To: D&C Fraser <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Native birds in captivity
From: HARRIS & WESTRUP John & Jude <>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 10:38:43 +1000
birding-aus

D&C Fraser wrote:

> birding aus
>                    I think that anyone who knows keepers of caged
> birds realises that some of them will incarcerate anything they can
> lay their hands on, whether by fair means or foul. A few years ago
> while working on a construction job in Sale Vic, a pair of fearless
> and determined Spotted Pardalotes decided to excavate their nest
> burrow right beside excavations for a concrete path. One of the
> workers, a parrot breeder and aviary fanatic was all for netting them
> and adding them to his collection. Luckily I was able to dissuade him,
> citing their very special dietary requirements etc. etc.! As the birds
> had no future nesting in that spot I dug up the burrow,-----three
> times, before they took the hint and moved to a hopefully safer spot.
>               Duncan Fraser.
Duncan

I feel that this is a little unfair to most Aviculturists who keep birds
for a hobby and get a lot of enjoyment out of it, I should know as I did
so for 22 years, but I found that it was more enjoyable to see them "al
naturale" and besides I didn't have the time to devout what was
required.  Most Aviculturists are concerned about, not only their own
birds but also, the status of them in the wild.  I was at a avicultural
convention in Hobart in the Early 90's when Sonia Tidemann was studying
the Gouldian Finch and she asked for assistance from them for birds etc
and nearly all were willing to help out with her request and if not with
birds but finances also.

A lot about the habits, breeding and the like of Australian birds has
been learnt from birds in captivity and will continue to be done so over
the years to come. They have a lot to offer in relation to captive
breeding and release programs also, so please don't look down on all of
them because of a few narrow-minded, self-interested, money making
individuals.

Regards

John Harris

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)