birding-aus

birding-aus Fairy Martins in the Geelong Area (fwd)

Subject: birding-aus Fairy Martins in the Geelong Area (fwd)
From: RUSSELL DEAN WOODFORD <>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 15:13:47 +1000 (EST)
birding-aus

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 17:57:00 +1000
From: "Hicks, Roger" <>
Subject: Fairy Martins in the Geelong Area

 FAIRY MARTINS in the GEELONG AREA

Prompted by the paucity of Fairy Martin records in the Geelong Field
Naturalist Club (GFNC) Bird Report for 1997, we (my son Andrew and I) went
looking for Fairy Martin colonies in the GFNC recording area. So far we have
checked more than 150 bridges and culverts mainly in the area between
Bacchus Marsh in the north, Werribee to the east, Brisbane Ranges to the
west and You Yangs to the south. This represents only a small portion of the
GFNC recording area.

 The GFNC recording area was originally defined in Birds of Geelong by
Trevor Pescott (1983). It extends from Werribee to Bacchus Marsh, Rokewood,
Camperdown and Port Campbell and includes The Bellarine Peninsula, Werribee
Plains, Brisbane ranges, You Yangs, Western District Lakes and Otway Ranges.
It does not include Werribee Sewage Farm.

So far we have found 40 colonies of which a very high proportion appear not
to have been used during the 98/99 breeding season. Several other species
have also been recorded making use of Fairy Martin nests including Welcome
Swallow, House Sparrow and Tree Martin. We have not looked for Fairy Martin
colonies in natural sites and know of none in the GFNC area.

We intend writing up our observations but would like to include as many
colonies as possible. If you know of any fairy martin colonies within the
GFNC recording area could you please forward the details to me. All
contributions will be acknowledged and all observations will be forwarded to
the GFNC (with the contributors permission).

We have collected the following details for each site:

Type:                   Bridge/Culvert/Pipe
River/Creek Name :
Road Name:
Bridge Name (if any):
Map Reference:

Number of complete nests:
Number of broken nests:
Any marks of old nests:
Height above ground or water:
Surrounding land use:

Was the colony used in the 98/99 breeding season:
Other species using Fairy Martin nests:

Thanks for your time and assistance

Roger

Roger Hicks                     Tel :   03-9369-6023 (home)
4 Hakea Court,                          03-9865-7051 (work)
Altona Meadows
Victoria 3028                   E-mail:
Australia