birding-aus

birding-aus Curra Moors, Raptors over Motorways & Thanks

Subject: birding-aus Curra Moors, Raptors over Motorways & Thanks
From: Ian Montgomery <>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 22:01:51 +1100

<<<<
For Sydney readers (I don't know the other capitals well enough), this is the equivalent of seeing a BK over the M4 at Westmead.

I saw a Hobby over the M4 today a bit west of Westmead. Will that do? And 2 Bazas near the M2 near Pennant Hills 10 days ago and a Peregrine near a roundabout in Cronulla 2 weeks ago. No Brahminy Kites though.

Someone posted an item on Curra Moors and Emu-wrens in the Royal National Park last week. Inspired by that, I went and had a look last Sunday afternoon at about 5oc. The first birds I saw on the path about 100m from the car park were 2 Emu-wrens. One of them obligingly came within a couple of metres when I squeaked at it. A bit over 1Km farther down the path (before the fork where the coastal path starts) a Chestnut-rumped Heathwren made an appearance. About 200m past the coastal path turnoff and about 1.8Km from the road there is a nice swampy bit on the right (east) side of the path. There there were a pair of Beautiful Firetails and another 1 or 2 Emu-wrens. I managed to photograph both a female/imm Emu-wren (not great) and a Firetail (quite good). If anyone wants copies (jpgs) let me know.

Many thanks to several people who responded to my RFI about India. I think I have responded individually to each one but perhaps a general thank you to the list is also appropriate. I have had great benefits since I started subscribing to it a few months ago, seen some terrific birds as a direct result and come into contact with some wonderful people.

Best wishes to you all. Ian
Dr Ian Montgomery, Marine Ecology, A11, University of Sydney, NSW 2006.
Ph: (+61-2) 9351 4786; Fax: 9351 6713; Home ph: 9818 4838.
Visit us at: http://www.bio.usyd.edu.au:80/SOBS/SRC_EICC/QTUF/qtuf.html
Some of my bird photos are at: http://home.vicnet.net.au/~osch/hintsfor.htm