birding-aus

birding-aus Re: Grey-fronted Honeyeater chasing Peaceful Doves

Subject: birding-aus Re: Grey-fronted Honeyeater chasing Peaceful Doves
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 13:20:55 +0800
birding-aus

About a week ago I asked why Grey-fronted Honeyeaters would chase away
Peaceful Doves as soon as the doves landed on the ground.  I had seen this
outside my office at the Argyle Diamond Mine in the north east Kimberley of
WA.

Today they began nesting about three metres from where they chased the
doves.  The nest is outside my office window about 4 metres away, and about
2 metres above the ground.  It is only half a metre from a path so it will
be interesting to observe what happens when people pass by.  A pair of
Brown Honeyeaters successfully raised two young a couple of years ago in a
nest just as close to the path about 5 metres away.

I presume that this is the same pair that has nested successfully several
times each wet season near my office.  This is much later than any other
breeding attempts that I have recorded for this species at Argyle.  They
have fledged young in early March in previous years (and one in late
February this year), but I have not previously seen them commence to nest
in March.

For a summary of some of their previous nesting attempts, see the Articles
page on my home www pages at http://www.iinet.net.au/~foconnor

May they succeed again
Frank

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)