birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Grey-fronted Honeyeater chasing Peaceful Dove

Subject: Re: birding-aus Grey-fronted Honeyeater chasing Peaceful Dove
From: Kirrama Wildlife Tours <>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 09:06:17 +1000
birding-aus

Hi Frank,
Hey, you are supposed to be working, not observing birds out of the window!
To your story:
I can't make any comment about the Honeyeaters, but I had years ago
White-breasted Woodswollows diving on Bar-shouldered Doves, which were
feeding on the ground. I came to the conclusion, that they did it just for
fun or practise (teaching youngsters to attack friendly victims!?!). I
couldn't find any other reason for them to do so.
Anyway, these were my thoughts at the time.
                                        Happy birding, Klaus

>On two occasions a Peaceful Dove landed on the ground outside my office.
>Within seconds a Grey-fronted Honeyeater chased the dove off very
>aggressively.  The honeyeater came from 10 to 20 metres away.  The
>Grey-fronted Honeyeaters have recently fledged one young, but the juvenile
>is self sufficient (I saw it feeding alone yesterday) although it is still
>making some begging calls as it forages.

Kirrama Wildlife Tours   Klaus & Brenda Uhlenhut
PO Box 133   SILKWOOD  QLD   Australia
Kirrama Home Page   http://www.gspeak.com.au/kirrama
Birding Web Directory   http://www.ausbird.com

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)