birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Re: Bird Names vs Code numbers: comments from a US bird

Subject: Re: birding-aus Re: Bird Names vs Code numbers: comments from a US birder
From: David James <>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 19:01:44 +1000
birding-aus

At 09:31 6/03/99 +0800,  wrote:

> C&B did not publish a list of sub
>species.  Perhaps the HANZAB team will publish the updated list of species,
>and also their recommended sub species when they have completed their work.

Actaully, I doubt that the HANZAB team will compile any checklists,
although the arguments in the geographical Variation sections often
represent detailed taxonomic revisions which should not be ignored by
checklist compilers.  However, there are likely to be two or three lists of
subspecies published in the next few years.

Firstly, the Zoological catalogue of Australia Volume 37 Aves is underway.
Dick Schodde & Ian Mason are preparing this. It will be produced in 4
parts. It is a very detailed and technical nomenclatural work (with a few
too many unjustiifed decisions I must say). Part 2 (Columbidae to
Coraciidae) is out, but others may be a while, because...

Schodde & Mason are also working on their (long awaited)  checklist of
"terminal taxa" (ie subspecies) in two parts. Part 2 passerines is in press
I hear. This book will aim to define each subspecies and map there ranges
separately, discuss hybrid zones etc. these two know so much about
australain birds and work so hard, that it should be a revolution of it's
own.

The Birds Australia Taxonomic advisory Committee recognises that future
checklists need to include subspecies.

One thing is for certain. Any of these lists that see the light of day will
differ from the others.

David James
PO BOX 5225
Townsville Mail Centre 4810