birding-aus

birding-aus Star Finch and White-bellied Crimson Finch Distribution

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Star Finch and White-bellied Crimson Finch Distribution
From: "Michael Todd" <>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 20:16:10 +1100
Hello everyone,

Five months ago, I put a request onto bird-aus asking for info. on where people might have seen Star Finches or White-bellied Crimson Finches on Cape York Peninsula. Since a fair length of time has passed since then I thought that I might put the request out again in case people have seen these species since or in case new people have joined Bird-aus.

I am employed by the Department of Environment and Heritage in Queensland to investigate many aspects of the finches ecology. I'm currently looking into their ecology on Cape York Peninsula and am at the moment confined to Pormpuraaw, on the west coast of Cape York. It seems as though the White-bellied Crimson is confined to an area around Lakefield N.P. and along the west coast of the Cape. The exact limits of the distribution are a bit hazy at the moment and I would be interested in any observations people might have had. The Stars also seem to be patchy in distribution and anywhere people have seen them would be of interest.

If funding continues, later this year the project might be moving to the Northern Territory. In anticipation of this I would be interested to hear of anywhere that people may have seen Star Finches with a view to finding suitable study sites. Especially of interest would be anywhere that people have seen Crimsons (black-bellied in N.T.) and Stars in the same area.

Hopefully, waiting for replies,

Mick

Michael Todd
Finch Researcher,