birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Feral Parrots in Geelong

Subject: Re: birding-aus Feral Parrots in Geelong
From: Rohan Clarke <>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 17:12:10 +1100
birding-aus

Russel
These may be Peach-faced Lovebirds (Agapornis roseicollis?) a small
inexpensive African Parrot available in most pet shops. I have seen a free
flying bird that returned to its cage each night in Box Hill (it survived
for many years) and two (a pair?) that were free flying and apparently
roosting/nesting? in the roof of a hotel near Kings Canyon NT. From what I
understand the keeping of them is restricted in WA as they are considered to
pose a threat to agriculture if they become established (not sure where I
heard this). They are superficially similar to little lorikeets in that they
are small, short tailed and mostly green with a pink face (not red). Other
African lovebirds are also kept in Vic eg Masked but being a little bit more
expensive I doubt a bird keeper would deliberately release them.

Rohan

 MAt 03:27 PM 17-02-99 +1000, you wrote:

 Apparently, a breeder released 7 or 8 "small African parrots"
>several years ago - stories differ as to whether it was an accidental
>release, or deliberately done, either by the breeder or by someone with
>unpleasant intent.  Now, the birds number "about 200" ......eliminate
things like Little
>Lorikeet (which is a possiblity based on her description!!).

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)