birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Land restoration (Was native plants etc)

Subject: Re: birding-aus Land restoration (Was native plants etc)
From: Anne & Roger Green <>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 12:56:52 +1030
birding-aus

HARRIS & WESTRUP John & Jude wrote:  My suggestion is that we try to
start in the mid to late
> 1800's, as earlier vegetation (and animals in broad terms) would have
> been adapted to the aboriginal style of land management over thousands
> of years??
I think this is the most practicable compromise. "Environmental weeds",
usually feral exotics but sometimes Aussies from another part of the
country, are a big worry. Olives in S. Aus are a good example, with
thousands of hectares currently being established but garden rubbish
containing Gazanias, for example, are also a problem. Even if commercial
nurseries were restricted in what they were allowed to import/sell,
there are already innumerable green fingered gardeners and unregistered
nurseries merrily propagating such plants. These would be impossible to
police. I think we can only hope to educate gardeners to be careful and
legislate for more effective customs inspection/regulation but we're
going to have to accept that mankind has speeded up the inevitable
evolution of ecosystems by some astronomical degree and that turning
back the clock is impossible. We can only hope to slow down the
degradation and preserve as many areas of remnant vegetation as
possible.
On a happier note, Transport SA, the body responsible for highway
building and maintenance in this state, has a strong policy of
landscaping verges and median strips with plants from locally-collected
indigenous material.They use both direct seeding and tubestock planting
and the officer responsible is a very knowledgeable chappie.
That's my 2 cents worth!
Regards, Anne
--
 Anne & Roger A. Green
 Atriplex Services-Environmental Consultants, Landscapers, Educators

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)