birding-aus

birding-aus Flamingoes over Manly?

Subject: birding-aus Flamingoes over Manly?
From: Matthew Taylor <>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 09:51:27 +1000
birding-aus

Can anyone shed any light on this unusual observation?
Thursday morning about 8am, four flying north over Manly.  Half awake I
just ticked them in my head with a mental note that I had not seen any for
a while and not previously in this area.   Then I realised I had not seen
flamingoes since Cape Town and not ever on this continent!
Any escapes from Taronga or other zoos?
Anything else that can appear flamingo like at the wrong angle.  The
enormously long necks, and misshapen heads seemed so characteristic.
Ibises and spoonbills are quite different.  I haven't seen brolgas in
flight yet but they look to have a very different silhouette.
I know pigeons can look like almost any similar sized raptor, passerine or
earnestly desired tick but flamingo would be stretching even their
impressionist skills.
Curious?

Matthew Taylor
32/1 Addison Road
Manly
NSW 2095

Mobile: 0411 244544

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)