birding-aus

birding-aus Blue Mountains Report Jan 99

Subject: birding-aus Blue Mountains Report Jan 99
From: "Carol Probets" <>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 03:38:29 PST
birding-aus

The Blue Mountains Bird Observers currently have about 90 members and
since the club's inception approximately ten years ago they have been
compiling monthly lists of observations covering the area from Lapstone
to Mount Victoria (west of Sydney). As Newsletter Editor I feel that
some of our members' observations might be of interest to others outside
the group, so have decided (with the group's approval) to post a short
summary of interesting observations each month on Birding-Aus.

The major highlights for 1998 included a Letter-winged Kite seen at
Woodford and Blackheath during April (probably the same bird); and a
Blue-billed Duck at Wentworth Falls Lake on 10/8/98.

The following are interesting or unusual records for JANUARY 1999
reported by members of the Blue Mountains Bird Observers.

PACIFIC BAZA - 1 juvenile found dead at Glenbrook.
GLOSSY BLACK-COCKATOO - Lapstone; 3 at Wentworth Falls 31/1/99.
SUPERB PARROT - 1 at Mount Riverview, presumed aviary escapee.
BARN OWL - Shipley Plateau (near Blackheath) Dec & Jan.
SOOTY OWL - 1 at Katoomba 13-15/1/99. See previous report Birding-Aus.
WHITE-THROATED NEEDLETAILS - only reports were 2 at Katoomba 5/1/99; 12+
at Mount Riverview 28/1/99.
SPOTTED BOWERBIRD - 3 at Valley Heights 18-20/1/99.

The extraordinary report of 3 Spotted Bowerbirds at Valley Heights (near
Springwood, 60km W of Sydney) is way out of this species normal range
and seems rather far-fetched except that the observer is able to support
his identification with a good description of the birds, including the
"pinkish bar on nape of neck". I would welcome information on known
eastern limits for this species in NSW, and any other comments regarding
this report.

Anyone requiring more information on the Blue Mountains Bird Observers
can reply to me or contact the president,
Chris Todd, 19 Hilton Road, Springwood 2777.

Regards,
Carol Probets
Newsletter Editor, Blue Mountains Bird Observers.