birding-aus

birding-aus Red Wattlebirds and bees

Subject: birding-aus Red Wattlebirds and bees
From: Penny Drake-Brockman <>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 14:04:36 +1100
birding-aus

My bangolow palm in the back yard in inner South Sydney is once again in
flower and full of bees. 4 days ago I heard a clack clack noise and went to
investigate. An adult Red Wattlebird was in the flower branch snapping at
bees - with my bins I would only see bees, no other insects except one
butterfly that visited only briefly and tempted the RWB. However, the RWB
was darting around within the flower branch snapping at bees, I didn't see
a bee in its bea (and had the opportunity again yesterday to watch i), but
I did see it swallow a couple of times.

Has anyone got records of RWB's eating bees - the European honeybee variety?

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)