birding-aus

birding-aus Birding-aus Re : Call of Baillons Crake

Subject: birding-aus Birding-aus Re : Call of Baillons Crake
From: David Stewart <>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 11:31:28 +1100
birding-aus

To all

There have been a number of messages over the last week about Crakes and the
Little Bittern at McGraths Hill treatment works.

Some birding-aus subscribers would know I have a great interest in bird
calls. Over the years I have prepared Field Survey tapes for NSW National
Parks to assist in surveying rare and cryptic bird species. The sound of
Baillons Crake I have used on these tapes is from New Zealand. I have never
met or heard from anyone in Australia who has recorded, or even heard this
species call.

I have played the NZ sound at Baillons Crake as close as two metres on Fauna
Surveys in north-eastern NSW, but never has the targeted bird shown any
interest in the NZ call.

I would be interested to know if anybody has heard or recorded the call of
this species. HANZAB has a comment that this Crake is generally silent
compared to other Crakes. There are a number of descriptions of calls in
HANZAB, but very little seems to have been published in recent times. The
sonogram in HANZAB is that of a call recorded in New Zealand.

As other species of Crake have a range of calls I would ask people to be
certain that the call they have heard is Baillons Crake. In other words you
would need to see the bird calling to be certain of the identity of the bird
calling.

It may be appropriate for people to reply direct to me on this subject.

Thank you

David Stewart