birding-aus

birding-aus Grey Butcherbirds in cities & towns

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Grey Butcherbirds in cities & towns
From: "Philip A Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 10:58:05 +1100
birding-aus

I am writing the text of a publication on Canberra Ornithologists' Group's
(COG) Garden Bird Survey (GBS). The data compiled in the computer database
so far, is of 16 years (July 1981 to June 1997, year 17 is being typed in
and year 18 is in progress), there are 1055 observer years, comprising 41768
observer weeks, at 257 sites and involves 42384 records (a species at a site
on a year) for a total of 219 species. COG has information collected weekly,
on the abundance and distribution by month of all species, continuously
since July 1981. I am seeking some comparative comments from outside
Canberra relating to abundance of certain species in coastal based urban
centres from say Adelaide to Brisbane (via the south-eastern side). There
may be other requests like this for other species later but I'll start with
the Grey Butcherbird.
I know that the Grey Butcherbird is a common and widespread bird in
Melbourne and Brisbane (my other two home towns) but I know little about it
in e.g. Sydney region. In the GBS, there are only 38 records, at 34 sites of
the Grey Butcherbird which makes it an uncommon species. It is clearly not
urbanisation itself that is the restrictive aspect.
Can anyone out there please send comments as to the general status of this
species in their area (directly to me please). Thanks.

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)