birding-aus

2 hobbies a galah and a game of chasey

Subject: 2 hobbies a galah and a game of chasey
From: "Merrilyn Serong" <>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 23:44:39 +1100
Today I was thoroughly entertained by a rather brash galah and a couple
of hobbies who had what I can only describe (anthropomorphically) as a
game of chasey.  All three were perched in a large bare tree, a
favourite lookout of the hobbies. Suddenly the galah and one hobby took
off, the galah leading, the hobby in hot pursuit, both calling loudly.
At first I thought the hobby was chasing the galah out of its tree, but
the galah didn't fly away, it just flew in large circles.  When the
hobby slowed, apparently almost giving up the chase, the galah circled
around until it was behind the hobby, then both came back to the tree
where the second hobby was still perched.  The galah took a higher perch
than the hobbies, and continually stretched and raised and lowered its
crest.

Why would these birds behave like this?  The galah (34-38 cm Pizzey and
Knight) appeared far too big to be prey for the small hobby (30-35 cm),
and the hobby made no attempt to attack.  The galah _was_ chased by the
hobby, but both ended up where they began.  Perhaps the galah benefited
by learning how to flee, and the hobby by learning how to chase.  Were
they playing?

Merrilyn