birding-aus

once more on abbreviations.

Subject: once more on abbreviations.
From: "Pat O'Malley" <>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 14:21:54 +1100
Dear Birding-ausers

Sorry to strike a discordant note and to get involved, in contradictory
fashion, in  cluttering up the email with furthering a debate on
abbreviation that is neither amusing nor informative. But....

I hate regulation creeping into pleasurable exchanges between birders (as
opposed to regulating commercial people who barge in trying to sell
things). Lets keep it pleasant and simple.

Surely people who don't know or can't figure out an abbreviation or an
'ambiguous' or 'obscure' name can just ask? We're all (virtual) friends
here. Asking questions is how we learn quite a lot new things, including
quite handy abbreviations. And I bet asking such questions will take up
less email space than regulation and its debates.

Alternatively (as in my case with the example of OZPO/SIPO) people
interested enough in the exchange can apply the brain. Its quite fun when
you get used to it.

Pat.
Pat O'Malley