birding-aus

Re: RFI Kangaroo Island

To: "Pat O'Malley" <>
Subject: Re: RFI Kangaroo Island
From: "Paul McDonald" <>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 08:17:47 +1100
Hi all, I was in KI in Jan 97 and here a few vague recollections. I
tried to find my notes last night but failed, they have been tidied
somewhere. If you are especially keen then I'LL look again.

Western WHipbird: Main road running E/W along sth end of the
island, the seal beach rd comes off this, drive along this road from
where the ferry drops you off on KI until you reach the entrance to
the NP at the western end. It is a stone wall type structure from
memory. Walk south along an old fence with an overgrown track
through the heath and listen. I found a male displaying and courting
what I assume was a female after a 1\4 hr or so.

Rock Parrot/Hooded PLover: Walk along the track out to the Fairy
tern breeding colony on one of the smaller off-shore islands. It is off-
limits where the track ends but if you keep going in amongst the salt
bush etc I found 25+ Rock Parrots and 6 HP flying past. HP's were
also on the beach that this track starts from.

Peafowl: On the ovals near the centre of the island apparently,
although I saw a group of three cross the road on the way there and
therefore didn't bother to check these out.

I dipped on the GLossy's, but ask the head ranger there who is a top
birder on the island and quite helpful for the latest spots. A track
running from just east of the tourist info centre is suppossed to be
good, as is areas of suitable habitat in Lathami NP (as you would
guess!) but I dipped at both.

Rothernberg's Goanna can be found at any roadkill, particular at the
sth end of the island, the tiger snakes are common and should be
found pretty easy, I saw a few near the Western Whipbird site. Go
spotlighting at night, Bush THick-knees are abundant near the
lighthouse at the western end of the island, as are Tammar
Wallabies throughout.

That's all I can remember at present that stood out for me. If you
want any more specific/additional info get back to me. But ask the
ranger, as he helped with most of these spots anyway.

Cheers, Paul
Paul McDonald
School of Biological Sciences
Macquarie University, Sydney NSW, 2109
Australia
Phone: (02) 9850 8191 Fax: (02) 9850 8245