birding-aus

Hawkesbury Area Saturday 16th January 1999

To: <>
Subject: Hawkesbury Area Saturday 16th January 1999
From: "EDWIN VELLA" <>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 09:49:51 +1100
Yesterday morning in the Hawkesbury area myself, Tony Palliser and Andrew Stafford had a few interesting sightings at:

(1) McGraths Hill STW (off Windsor Rd, east of Windsor) - atleast 6-7 Baillons and 4 Australian Crakes, and an Immature Australian Shelduck was seen. A female Red-backed Button-quail was seen there a week ago in a lucerne crop before it was mowed down. These Button-quails do occassionly turn up in Sydney but are not frequently reported. How far south do they go? There are museum specimens from Maroubra, La Perouse etc in Sydney's southern suburbs. I have seen 2 females and a male on one occassion at Richmond 2 years ago.

(2) Pitt Town Bottoms Rd (off Pitt Town Rd, between McGraths Hill and Pitt Town) - we also checked for Quail here as the habitat looked good. We did not see any but Andrew saw a Tawny Grassbird and I flushed a Red-bellied Black Snake.

(3) Pitt Town Lagoon - Conditions are now ideal for waders with the water level just right but not a single Sandpiper was sighted yesterday. There was however 10 Pacific Herons, 100 plus Pink-eared Ducks, some Australasian Shovelers and Hardheads, 5-6 Lathams Snipe and a Peregrine Falcon threatening the local avian community.

Regards

Edwin