birding-aus

Re: out of place Masked Finfoot

To: "Tom Tarrant" <>, "birding aus" <>
Subject: Re: out of place Masked Finfoot
From: "Philip A Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 14:56:05 +1100
Thanks for your information which would be rightly appreciated by birdos
going to Singapore but I'm going to throw in an opinion that some may
strongly disagree with. If I was interested to see a Masked Finfoot, I would
want to see it in whatever part of the world it normally lives, assuming
that such an achievement is possible. If I had the dollars and the
obsession, then I believe a trip to its usual range would be a better way of
appreciating the bird. If I go to Singapore I am interested in what normally
lives there, although extras would be a bonus. Things in their own habitat
is part of what ecology is about. It is odd that someone would want to go a
long way to see something in a place it doesn't normally live rather than go
a long way to see it where it normally does live. That hardly contributes
useful knowledge to anyone.