birding-aus

Trip to NSW

Subject: Trip to NSW
From: Jan England <>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 15:17:13 +1000
Hi all,

A very special thank you to Alan Morris, Ross Mulholland and Denyse Cusack
for meeting me at Somersby Falls in Brisbane Waters NP and helping to find
the Origima on 30.12.98.  We had splendid views of 4 birds cavorting on the
rocks at the bottom of the falls and surrounding area.  I also saw the Rock
Warbler at Dharug NP, Munghorn Gap and Goulburn River NP so it is obviously
quite widespread in the escarpment areas.

The highlight of my trip was the visit to Glen Davis.  The scenery is
fabulous, the history of the town is fascinating and the birding was the
best of all places I visited. All my birding was done around the camping
areas and streets of the town and the Regent Honeyeaters came to the
campground each morning.  Both Rufous and Brown Songlarks were in full song
most of the day.

Special thanks is due to the Community Progress Association for the
provision of hot showers and laundry & toilet facilities in the campground.
 I will write to them to express appreciation for these facilities.  Thanks
also to David Geering for his suggestions on visiting the area.

A "must" place to visit if your out that way.

I heard lyrebirds in Dharug NP, Munghorn Gap and New England NP and took
particular note of their mimicry.  Pied Currawong and Kookaburra calls
seemed to be the most popular with numerous other chatterings intermingled
amongst their song.

Jan England