birding-aus

Gull Identification

To: "Frank O'Connor" <>, <>, "Julian Bielewicz" <>
Subject: Gull Identification
From: "John Holt" <>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 21:37:23 +1000
Seeing the correspondence about the ?? Silver Gull reminds me of a new gull
that my wife
and I saw in Adelaide. I reported it on the Birds Australia Sightings Form
26/8/98 but
had no feed back. If anyone can help. we'd appreciate it.
        Seen about 10.30am. 24 Aug. 1998. at Elder Park, on the banks of the
River Torrens,
between the Adelaide CBD and the cricket ground.   We observed the gull in with
a group
of "normal" Silver Gulls, (Larus novaehollandiae) for about 10 minutes, from
about
5meters distance.
        The bird was slightly larger than a Silver Gull, darker gray,  and more
heavily built.
        It was Gray over-all,lightest on the breast, darkest on wings, a
plain,dull grey, not
silver.
        The palest part of the bird, the breast, was about the colour of a
Silver Gulls wings,
and our gulls wings were considerably darker.
        The Eye was white, with black pupil and black rim
        The Bill was a deep red with no coloured tip. The red had almost a
touch of blue colour
in it, it was so dark and it was possible to see through its nostrils (nares?)
which I
dont think you can do with Larus. Its legs and feet were dark dark red to
black.
        The bird had no sign of mottling or other juvenile colouring in its
plumage, and seemed
to be taking its place in the flock without any excessive peer pressure.

        Any clues as to its possible identity would be appreciated.

John Holt
Chermside South,
Brisbane,Qld