birding-aus

Re: Sun-bathing Rose Robin

To: <>, "Peter Pfeiffer" <>
Subject: Re: Sun-bathing Rose Robin
From: "Hazel Wright" <>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 18:13:40 +1100
Rose Robin Sun-bathing

On Thursday, 31 December, 1998, (yesterday) my husband Allan and I observed
a bird lying in the sunshine on leaf-litter beside a walking track at
Blundell?s Flat in the Brindabella Ranges some 40 Kms from Canberra.  At
first we could not see any distinguishing features to help in identifying
it, only a steely grey back and out-spread wing.  We watched it for several
minutes apparently enjoying its leisure time.  It then flew to a nearby
sapling and we realised it was a male Rose Robin, a species we had not seen
in that area before.

We remained at the spot for a while longer watching other birds and
listening to a myriad of calls when we noticed that the Robin had returned
to its sunny spot but was now lying on its side so that we could see the
colour on its breast.  Although only a few metres from us, it took very
little notice of our presence.

Hazel Wright

e-mail: