birding-aus

White-throated Nightjar

Subject: White-throated Nightjar
From: stuart dashper <>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 13:33:16 +1100
Dear all,

I was lucky enough to spend a few days recently in far eastern Victoria in
bush on the Genoa river. During our stay a White-throated Nightjar was
located roosting on the ground, presumably on a 'nest'. At dusk two
nightjars were heard to call in the vicinity and one or two would fly
around the clearing where our camp was. On one evening there was a
spectacular synchronised flying display by two birds. However whenever we
walked past the roosting site, both during the day and at night, there was
a bird present. I have been unable to find out much about the breeding
biology of these birds, except that you would expect them to be incubating
at this time of year with the egg hatching soon and that it takes approx. a
month for the hatchling to fledge. I would be interested to hear from
anyone who knows more about this subject, especially, is the egg is
attended by both male and female birds etc.

Other highlights (for a Melbournian) included, Black-faced Monarch, Glossy
Black Cockatoo, Wonga Pigeon, lots of cuckoos, and lots of nesting birds
and juveniles. Red-necked wallabies, Goannas, Dunnarts, Antechinus etc were
also seen in what is a wonderful part of the world.

Regards

Stuart Dashper.