birding-aus

Epilogue - the Painted Honeyeater Project

To: "'Ozbird Mail'" <>
Subject: Epilogue - the Painted Honeyeater Project
From: "Conole, Lawrie" <>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 11:52:21 +1000
Hi Ozbirders

Many of you would have seen my faintly pathetic pleas for Painted Honeyeater
information over the last few years (summarised here -
http://www.users.bigpond.com/ocoineoil/sections/docs/painted1.html).  In
particular I tried valiantly to flush out some wintering information; but
that was remarkably unsuccessful.  I now have quite an amount of summer
information from the Murray-Darling Basin and surrounds - but unfortunately
little of this adds anything significant to the natural history of this
enigmatic bird.  The purpose of this mail then is to announce the closure of
the data collection phase, and my intention to begin writing up for
publication in Winter 1999.

Thanks to all those who responded to my numerous RFIs - and of course, if
there are any of you out there with wintering data as yet undisclosed,
please contact me for a full and frank confession.  No snippet of
information about the whereabouts or activities of Painted Honeyeaters in
winter is too small.  Effective management of this rare migratory species
cannot happen without a full picture of its natural history.

Cheers

Lawrie Conole
3 Gezireh Street
Pascoe Vale South 3044