birding-aus

RE: Throat Worms 2-answer1

Subject: RE: Throat Worms 2-answer1
From: Pat Macwhirter <>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 23:07:06 +1100

Dear Mauro,

What you are describing sounds like gapeworm (Syngamus sp) or Capillaria. The former usually appears pink and chubby, the later white and fine. They can be easily distinguished microsopically by their eggs or adult morphology. With Syngamus the male and female are permanently attached in a Y shape, with the male being the smaller branch.

Both species are usually killed by ivermectin ug/kg, note microgram, a very low dose) or levamisole mg/kg) or fenbendazole (Panacur). I usually use half or a third of the recommended dose initially as fatal repiratory obstruction can occur if all of the parasites are killed at once. Resistant strains are possible (especially for Capillaria to ivermectin).

These parasites are not transmissible to humans. Earthworms or invertebrates may act as intermediate hosts. Capillaria is common in parrots but usually is found further along the gastrointestinal tract rather than in the pharnyx. In Melbourne, gapeworm is common in ravens, blackbirds and thrushes but I've never diagnosed it in any of the Psittaciformes, probably because they don't usually eat earthworms. Neither have I ever diagnosed it in a silver gull, again probably because gulls don't relish worms either.

I suggest you contact Pin Needham, Ian Hough or David Schultz as South Australian vets working with birds. Check with the Australian Veterinary Association for contact details.

Good luck,

Pat

Patricia Macwhirter BVSc (Hons), MA, FACVSc (Bird Medicine)
Highbury Veterinary Clinic, 128 Highbury Road, BURWOOD, VICTORIA, AUSTRALIA
Ph: (03) 9808 9011 Fax: (03) 9888 7134