birding-aus

Throat Worms

To: "" <>
Subject: Throat Worms
From: "Maurovic, Mauro (DHS)" <>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 10:18:59 +0930
Hi all,
A very young (early bird) magpie landed in my garden yesterday and was
starved. It looked as though something was stuck in its throat because it
couldn't swallow very well.  After a bit of mucking around, my daughter
caught it with the old box and string tied to a stick trick.  We believe
that after ringing a local wildlife rescue group that it is infested with
worms in its throat.  This morning there seemed to be a lot of mucous around
its beak and it had a "fruity" respiration.
Does anyone know how we can get rid of them??  I suspect that the worms are
also under its tounge so that it can't get food from the tip of its beak.
(by the way, its beak is most unusual as it has the hook at the end the same
as a butcher bird....)
Are there any avian vets out there that might offer a solution to these
worms.  Is there any medicine or can you pull them out?
I would really appreciate your help on this one.
Ta
Mauro