birding-aus

Identification Problems with Malaysian Species

Subject: Identification Problems with Malaysian Species
From: Gil Langfield <>
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 1998 12:34:45 +1100
Can anyone help me with the following two species?

Miri, Sarawak, East Malaysia, 25 November:

Probable Pied Fantail, Rhipidura javanica.  The bird was seen about 20
metres from the coast doing the usual fantail flight around some palms in
the grounds of the Holiday Inn.  It seemed to be mostly black/dark grey
with white tips to the outer tail feathers , white spots on the upper
throat extending to the sides of the throat and no other distinguishing
marks.  From the only guide had with me (Lekagul and Round) I decided it
was a White-throated Fantail (R. albicollis) but both this species and the
Spotted Fantail (R. perlata) should not be found on the coast.

The Gap, Fraser's Hill, West Malaysia, 29 November

Probable Black Bulbul, Hypsipetes madagascariensis.  It was mostly black,
had the orange bill but had a pronounced white eyebrow.  I have consulted
King and Smythies which show subspecies with fully white heads but not this
eyebrow.

Regards,

Gil Langfield
Melbourne, Australia