birding-aus

Fw: Reply to Tawny Frogmouth question

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Fw: Reply to Tawny Frogmouth question
From: "John Walter" <>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 18:49:15 +1100

----------
Karen Pearson wrote

> Anyway, I saw 3 Tawny Frogmouths this afternoon at Braeside Park.  Now
this
> may not sound all that exciting... but at this stage any bird I can
> positively i.d. causes much internal jubilation - to add to this joy, was
> the fact that I REALLY wanted to see a Frogmouth and was carefully
keeping
> an eye out for them on the chance that they may be about.
>
> What can I say... three on the one branch looking  straight at me !!!
Once
> they stopped looking like sticks of course.    What mesmerising eyes they
> have.  It was like I'd won the lottery..... 3 times over.

I think that is just great, keep up the good work Karen

> My question is... I was a little miffed I hadn't taken my big lump of a
> camera with me.  What would the chances of them being on the same tree,
or
> near abouts, tomorrow??   No doubt curiosity and the desire to have my
very
> own photo of these beautiful birds will win out and I will go again
anyhow.
> It made my week !

I agree with Ken Maling they tend to be about the same area over many
years. We also have a nesting pair on the Pittsworth Golf Course, in this
case by the 7th. tee which is dead in line for the ladies teeing off to
miss a dam so it get clobbered a fair bit. But the frogmouths are up to the
vagaries of women golfers and nest with a branch between their nest and the
tee!! They are certainly a talking point for golfers if nothing else. We
also used to get them regularly on our clothes hoist at night catching
insects lit by the kitchen windows. They lived up the St. a bit in a
Pepperina tree until it was cut down.
We have also had a whole family that startled the socks of us at Calyerup
Rocks near Fitzgerald River Nat. Park in WA.  They, parents and 2
fledglings, were perched at a daytime roost 3 feet off the ground and
waited without a problem while I walked back to camp for the camera. Anyway
best of luck with your birding and keep up the enthusiasm.

Regards
John Walter