birding-aus

Nepal Guides

Subject: Nepal Guides
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 09:30:33 +1100
I'm VERY sorry to send this to the whole list, but I've lost the orginal
message & address

Field Guides for Nepal - the best I've found (up to early 1996 - there
may be more now)

Inskipp, C. & T. (1985). FG to the birds of Nepal. Croom Helm, London.

No plates except for the really impossible species: warblers, some
buntings & rosefinch.  Good text with very detailed maps and info about
elevation, which in Nepal is just as important as lat/long.
distribution. I only have the hardback - a bit bigger than most fg's but
worth it for the info.

Ali, S. & Ripley, S.D. (1995) A pictorial guide to the birds of the
Indian subcontinent. Bombay Nat Hist Soc (OUP).

All the plates from the older massive volume (illust by J.H. Dick).
Really awfully colour reproduction, but fairly comprehensive.  Almost no
text, but a slim and easy-to-carry volume in hardback. I bought mine in
Pokhara for about $AUD10!

Ali, S. (1977). FG to the birds of the Eastern Himalayas.

A tiny hardback, smaller than the paperback Slater.  37 colour plates
with 366 species. Lots of detailed text. The map only shows the eastern
tip of Nepal, all of Bhutan & Assam, a bit of Tibet, etc. A handy book
considering its detail & size.  Again, I got this in Nepal dirt cheap.
It's worth leaving room in your lugage for buying books at the end of
your trip - I picked up a few bird guides for nothing more than about
$AUD16 each.

Cheers

Russell Woodford